Change your cover photo
Change your cover photo
Hughina Morrison's marker in Section 2 is the oldest known gravestone in the cemetery, commemorating her death at age 44 in 1869, the year of Wyuka's founding.
This user account status is Approved

This user has not added any information to their profile yet.

My Profile Image
My Photo Image
My Family Image
My History Image
Wyuka's oldest monuments were typically white marble tablets, many of which are being worn smooth by the natural forces of weather and lichens. A carved hand on her gravestone points skyward toward a nearly illegible inscription that originally read, "Gone Home." The grave of her husband John Morrison is marked beside Mrs. Morrison's with the taller marble pier.
Wyuka Funeral Home and Cemetery
Wyuka Funeral Home and Cemetery
3600 O Street
Lincoln, NE 68510 | 402-474-3600
Latitude 40.81370, Longitude -96.66681
Hughina Morrison|http://mylivinghistory.org/user/hmorrison/
John Morrison

Willie, Jennie, Joanna, and Margaret

Hughina Morrison was born Hughina Monroe in Scotland in 1825. Her family immigrated to Ontario, Canada where she lived and met another fellow Scotsman, John Morrison. Hughina and John married on November 7, 1843 in Ontario, Canada. According to the 1852 census, the couple lived in Ingersoll Town and belonged to the Presbyterian Free Church. In 1858, the Morrison's decided to move to the United States. They lodged in Chicago before settling in Lansing, Iowa. John and Hughina lived in Iowa for nine years before moving to Lincoln, Nebraska in 1869. Unfortunately, Hughina died shortly after arriving in Lincoln, passing away on October 7, 1869. She has the sad distinction of being the first buried in Lincoln's first cemetery. Hughina was survived by her husband John and her children, Willie, Jennie, Joanna, and Margaret.
As printed in the October 16, 1869 Nebraska State Journal Died at her home in this city on Thursday, October 7th in the 45th year of her age, Mrs. Hughina Morrison, wife of John Morrison. The author of this tribute to the memory of the deceased enjoyed the privilege of her acquaintance during only a few days previous to her death; but the pure and the good are not long in finding the way to our hearts. As soon as we were ushered into her presence, we felt the magic influences of one whose natural purity and goodness rendered there potent by the chastening hand of affliction could inspire all around her with love and admiration of her beautiful character.
She was the idol of her family, the favorite of a large circle of friends at her late home in Lansing, Iowa, which she had given up, with all its comforts and pleasant surroundings, to join her husband in making a new home in the young West.
But alas, how uncertain are our most cherished hopes. She reached Lincoln overcome by her trip, and was soon prostrated among a bed of sickness. After a few days of patient suffering, in which she exhibited in a most remarkable degree those christian virtues which alone can make us happy, either in the midst of life or in death, and God, that God whom she had trusted all her life, claimed her for his own. As she lived, so she died, falling asleep. "Calmly, as to a night's repose, like flowers at set of sun"
While her gentle spirit was wafted to the God who gave it. To the bereaved husband and daughter of the deceased, and to those absent ones whose sad fate it is to mourn the loss of their darling mother, the author of this would tender the offering of sympathy from their friends in Lincoln. Would they meet her hereafter, let them, as she did, "live the life of the righteous," that like her.
"Sustained and soothed by an unfaltering trust, approach thy grave, like one who wraps the drapery of his couch about him, and lies down to pleasant dreams." Her last moments were relieved and cheered by the attention of many good friends of the family in Lincoln and a large concourse of our kind hearted citizens followed her to her last resting place in the new cemetery. --A Friend.
Uncle John Morrison. His remains followed to the grave by vast concourse As printed in the May 11, 1891 Daily Nebraska State Journal. Funeral services over the remains of Mr. John Morrison, who died at his home in this city Friday morning after a short illness, were held yesterday afternoon at the First Presbyterian Church.
Rev. Dr. Curtis preaching the funeral sermon in the presence of a large concourse of friends of the departed. The deceased was prominent during his lifetime in the Knights of Pythias and the order of Odd Fellows and both organizations turned out in a body to pay the last tribute to the memory of him who had so long been active in their ranks.
The floral offerings were numerous and beautiful. The Knights of Pythias lodges and uniform divisions remembered the deceased by a magnificent design representing a double triangle, an emblem of the order. A huge piece in the form of three links composed of exquisite flowers denoted that the deceased was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The remains were followed to Wyuka cemetery by a large number of citizens. The contege was led by the pall bearers L. J. Byer, O.P. Dinges, Will Love, Will Lane, J.M. McFarland, and Henry Hoagland, uniformed Knights numbering about ninety, 100 members of the subordinate lodges, and about 70 Odd Fellows occupied a place in the procession.
At the grave Mayor Weir officiated in performing the burial services of the Odd Fellows and General Dayton performed the same duties for the Knights of Pythias. The deceased was well known to almost every resident of this city. He was born at Shagra, Scotland, and was sixty-six years old at the time of his death. He was among the first settlers of this country having settled here May 6, 1869. He leaves a wife and one son, who have the sympathy of the community in their hour of bereavement.

[vc_column_text] [/vc_column_text][vc_column_text] [/vc_column_text]